From:
Mark Erik Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 10:05:49 -0500
Lisa,
You are absolutely right, but this figure didn't surprise me at all. I've
been working in museums for over twelve years (I must be nuts by now,
right?) and it's always the same -- the only people who make enough to
live on comfortably are the director and the development person. Its
absurd and embarrassing what they pay us, but there we are with our toungues
hanging out and our tails wagging. Museums know they can rely on a steady
supply of talented, creative people who are willing to sacrifice a lot to
work in a non-corporate, non-agressive, non-boring environment.
We can only hope this situation won't last forever -- that museums will not
always have this vast pool of suckers to draw from.