From:
Nesdon Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:51:40 -0700
> Per the artist's instructions, we
> have just used a high grade monofilament to hang a delicate, relatively
> lightweight work of contemporary sculpture.  I am aware that monofilament
> degrades in UV light and would like to set up a reasonable schedule for
> periodically replacing it.  Were it to break, the sculpture would very
> likely be destroyed.  Would once a year be too often?  Not often enough?
>
> Any recommendations or guidance would be welcome.

I haven't seen it used in a museum context, but in motion picture special
effects, we now more often use fine tungsten wire for the "invisible"
suspension of objects.

It is available in diameters as small as .0009", which is virtually
invisible and is specified to support about 1/3 lb. Thicker wire, say with a
diameter of .005" it is much, much less noticable than even 2 lb.
monofilament, and has a load of about 8 lbs. It does not degrade in
sunlight, but it can be difficult to handle since it is almost invisible and
small kinks or poorly tied knots may cause fatal fatique. We usually coat
knots with cyanoacrlyate adhesive, which may not be appropriate in a museum
setting.

It is possible to suspend large objects with no visible support, especially
if carefully lit. I would be interested to hear if anyone has used this
material in a exhibit or display.

Special Effects Unlimited 1005 Lillian Way
Hollywood, CA 90004
323.466.3361
Sells flat grey coated 10 ft rolls. under the name "suspendo" for I think
about 2 dollars per foot

California Fine Wire
304 S. 4th St.
Grover City CA 93433
805.489.5144
Sells 100 ft length minimums in either black or grey coated for about 65
cents per foot.