From:
Katherine Stocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:56:45 -0400
While the stroller issue has been very interesting, I find what David Hupert
said about front-line staff (quoted below) to be a far bigger issue. While
some museums are better at training and informing front desk staff and
security than others, I have been to museums (I'm sure not any of yours!)
where my initial impression of the museum was relayed by condescending or
ill-informed staff. I've also been to museums where I felt like someone on
staff took the time to let me in on information that I would not have gotten
had they not been there (sometimes even feeling like I had *inside*
information). In our great desire to offer riveting, educational exhibitions
and programing, doesn't it seem that we sometimes forget that the "show" is
not the real objective, rather what the visitor brings away from their
experience? And aren't we all sometimes guilty of not informing security or
front desk staff of things that might help them do their job (above and
beyond what to do if the fire alarm goes off)? I know at my museum, full
staff meetings are held at a time when most staff can be present, but
security stations still have to be manned, as does the front desk, so some
people miss out. (And by the way, this isn't a problem just with
non-profit--I've worked for businesses where front-line staff have been
trained as to what to do, without knowing enough of why we do it to be able
to make a good decision if the variables change.) Everyone in an
organization needs to understand what the organization fundamentally
believes in and wants to achieve---more than that, it needs to be a daily
focus, but the bigger picture always seems to get lost in the day-to-day.
Just some food for thought . . .

David Hupert said:
When it comes to dealing successfully with special circumstances of
visitors abilities to negotiate the physical constraints of a museum
exhibition, the most important institutional policy is the proper
selection, training and leadership of the guards.  The common practice of
treating "floor staff" as incidental to the objectives of the institution
has led to some museums hiring outside security firms to provide guard
services.

Guards are considered a security issue, lecturers and docents fall under
education and ticket sellers are revenue generators.  Because they are the
folks who have direct contact with the visitors they are the most potent
public relations instrument of any museum.

Katherine Stocker
Collections and Exhibitions
Mint Museum of Art/Mint Museum of Craft + Design
Charlotte, NC