From:
Jeannine Mjoseth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:57:44 -0400
The following is a text-only press release from the federal Institute of
Museum and Library Services (IMLS). An HTML version of this release and
photos can be read on the agency's Web site at
http://www.imls.gov/news/2009/102809a.shtm

IMLS Press Contacts
202-653-4632

Jeannine Mjoseth, [log in to unmask]
Mamie Bittner, [log in to unmask]

IMLS Awards Children's Museum of Manhattan National Leadership Grant To
Combat Early Childhood Obesity

HHS Secretary Sebelius and Mayor Bloomberg Join IMLS and CMOM at New
York Event

Washington, DC-On October 23, Anne-Imelda Radice, Director of the
Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), joined the Children's
Museum of Manhattan (CMOM) Executive Director Andrew Ackerman,
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen
Sebelius, and New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg in announcing the
museum's new program to combat early childhood obesity in high-need
communities. IMLS recently awarded CMOM a National Leadership Grant of
$838,000 to implement the program, which adapts the We Can!TM Energize
our Families: Parent's Program created by the National Institutes of
Health (NIH), part of HHS.

"This is exactly the kind of project that IMLS likes to support under
the National Leadership Grant program, because it will involve a wide
range of community partners working together to eradicate children's
obesity," Radice said. "The Children's Museum of Manhattan brings keen
expertise in translating the latest research and best practices into
daily experiences that strengthen family-based learning. We are glad to
be an active partner in this effort."

CMOM's adaptation of the We Can! TM parent program will be piloted and
evaluated with families of children aged two-five at East Side House
Settlement (ESHS) in the South Bronx, and then in New Orleans in
partnership with the Louisiana Children's Museum. CMOM will also
reinforce We Can! TM messages through a new exhibit and public programs
at the Museum. In addition to IMLS funding, seed funds to develop this
initiative were provided by the Laurie M. Tisch Illumination Fund and
the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.

"Thanks to the support of IMLS and other federal agencies and local
partners, CMOM will continue to innovate and provide leadership by
creating a community where the arts, health, play, creativity, and
culture come together to encourage the healthy growth and development of
all children," said Laurie Tisch, Honorary Chair of the Children's
Museum of Manhattan.

The program builds on a longstanding partnership with the Louisiana
Children's Museum (LCM), a nationally acclaimed museum with deep roots
in the New Orleans community. In 2006, CMOM partnered with LCM on
another IMLS-funded project to adapt and bring the PlayWorksTM early
childhood learning programs to families affected by the Hurricane
Katrina disaster.

"Our work with CMOM has proved to be absolutely transformational for LCM
and the greater New Orleans community; with Louisiana's steady battle
against childhood obesity, we see this as a timely and crucial
initiative," said Julia Bland, Executive Director of the Louisiana
Children's Museum.

"Helping our children live healthier lifestyles is a top priority for
this administration," said Secretary of Health and Human Services
Kathleen Sebelius. "Partnerships like this one are a great example of
the kinds of creative efforts we need in order to reach at-risk children
and their families with the information and resources that can help them
live longer, healthier, more productive lives."

"No question about it: We have to focus on families with very young
children-because good health habits are often established at an early
age," said Mayor Bloomberg. "Combating obesity is a key component of
Take Care New York, our comprehensive plan to improve the health of New
Yorkers, and we are thrilled to have the Children's Museum of Manhattan
contribute to these efforts. This initiative exemplifies the breadth and
depth of CMOM's work with children, families and educators, and their
ongoing commitment to children and families with the greatest need. By
working together, we can reach our shared goal of a healthier New York
for all."

"We are honored that Secretary Sebelius, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and
directors of IMLS and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
(NHLBI), part of the NIH, are joining us today to launch this very
exciting and much-needed program. This initiative expands on principles
embodied in CMOM's early childhood programs and is firmly rooted in the
belief that establishing positive behaviors early in life obviates more
difficult and expensive remediation later on, while providing children
with a healthy foundation for learning and lifelong success," said
Ackerman. "Our goal is to help families form the building blocks of
healthier lives and ultimately reduce children's risk of obesity. With
the generous IMLS and Laurie M. Tisch Illumination Fund grants, as well
as the inspiration of the We Can!TM initiative, we will be able to help
those most in need."

"As childhood obesity rates continue to threaten the health and
well-being of our nation's children local and national leaders are
seeking innovative ways to foster healthy eating and physical activity
habits that last a lifetime and can help prevent or lower the risk of
overweight and obesity. The NIH applauds CMOM's efforts to help blend
the scientific content of our We Can! TM messages with the Museum's deep
understanding of early childhood learning and its ability to engage with
families and community partners," said Dr. Elizabeth G. Nabel, Director
of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH.

"Over the course of the four years that CMOM has run literacy programs
at ESHS, parents have shown such enthusiasm and commitment week after
week, learning side by side with their children, and we have seen the
children respond so positively to all of CMOM's arts, literacy and
science programs," said John Sanchez, Executive Director of ESHS. "The
Museum has built a wonderful relationship of trust with our families,
and I believe our partnership provides a strong foundation for us to
deepen our work by helping families at ESHS incorporate healthy
behaviors into their daily routines."

About the Institute of Museum and Library Services
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of
federal support for the nation's 123,000 libraries and 17,500 museums.
The Institute's mission is to create strong libraries and museums that
connect people to information and ideas. The Institute works at the
national level and in coordination with state and local organizations to
sustain heritage, culture, and knowledge; enhance learning and
innovation; and support professional development. To learn more about
the Institute, please visit www.imls.gov.

About Children's Museum of Manhattan
Founded in 1973, the Children's Museum of Manhattan is New York City's
leading cultural institution dedicated solely to kids and families. CMOM
inspires children and their families to learn about themselves and a
culturally diverse world through unique interactive exhibitions. CMOM
presents a full range of activities, exhibits and special performances
that stimulate children of all ages. Through multidimensional programs
that reach deep into the community, the Museum serves New Yorkers from
all backgrounds. For details on all of CMOM's programs, please visit
www.cmom.org or call 212-721-1223.

About We Can!TM
We Can!TM (Ways to Enhance Children's Activity & Nutrition!) is a
science-based national education program developed by NIH - a component
of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - to help children
ages 8-13 stay at a healthy weight through improving food choices,
increasing physical activity, and reducing screen time. The program
offers flexible, turn-key resources complete with partnership ideas and
outreach opportunities to unite community organizations. Four of the
National Institutes of Health have combined their unique resources and
activities to create We Can!TM: the National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Institute; the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney
Diseases; the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health
and Human Development; and the National Cancer Institute. For more
information, visit http://wecan.nhlbi.nih.gov or call toll-free
866-35-WE CAN (866-359-3226).

About East Side House
East Side House, founded in 1891, has served the Mott Haven section of
the Bronx since 1963. A staff of 281, including full and part-time
teachers, social workers and other experts serve approximately 8,000
residents from 17 locations. For an outline of our organizational
structure and partial staff list, click here. After-school and evening
programs serve nearly 1,500 children age 2-17. Half of our funding comes
from private donations so we can tailor programs to our community.

About Louisiana Children's Museum
The Louisiana Children's Museum (LCM) is the oldest and largest
children's museum in Louisiana. Since 1986, it has served as the primary
resource for family learning, early childhood development and parental
engagement. Welcoming visitors from throughout the state and the Gulf
South, LCM engages children and families in memorable, interactive
experiences that make growing and learning fun. The Museum also goes
beyond its walls to deliver creative, educational resources that impact
the greater New Orleans community. Following 9/11, LCM was the first
outside organization to connect with CMOM, raising funds for its grief
counseling services, offered free of charge to the New York community.
Following Hurricane Katrina, CMOM provided valuable guidance to LCM as
we reached children and families in disaster recovery in the greater New
Orleans community. To learn more about the Louisiana Children's Museum
visit www.lcm.org or call 504-523-1357.