From:
Heidi Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 06:02:44 PST
It seems to me that a college education today is comparable to a high
school education 20 or 30 years ago and a Master's degree today is
comparable to the college education of 20 or 30 years ago.  Would you
not agree?  My parents were able to get jobs with their high school
diplomas whereas today, I'm doing the same kind of job and had to earn
at least a B.A. to get.  So perhaps we shouldn't call the people with
bachelor's degrees "overeducated"  maybe the people with high school
diplomas are just "undereducated".  Just a thought.  Although I think it
is quite pathetic that a person need to go to college and spend oodles
of money and start out their adult life with tens of thousands of
dollars of debt to work at McDonalds or Pizza Hut or as a secretary.
Thats just my two cents.

>From:         "Bartlema, Lauri, L."
>Educational requirements ARE ratcheting higher and higher, but not just
in the Museum-job world.  It's popping up everywhere.
>I personally think that in a society where more and more people are
going straight to college after high school, there has been created a
pool of "higher educated" people for companies to choose from.  Since
more and more people are getting more education, the
companies/institutions can and have raised their expectations as far as
the requirements of entry level and higher positions are concerned.
>What most haven't raised is their salary rate.  I agree with the people
who have stated that as long as there are people who are willing to work
for the ridiculously low wages, then the wages will not go up, at least
not until the Federal Govt forces them up with an increase in minimum
wage. In my opinion, this goes on the list of "sad but true" things.