From:
Colin Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 10:30:56 -0700
Our museum has a dress code for frontline staff who work in the outdoor
village area. Most of them wear replica early 1920s period costumes. Our
maintenance staff have been provided with work clothes that are available
"off the shelf" today, but  look basically the same as work clothing from
the early 1920s. We have a policy about the costumes, and have a "Costume
Co-ordinator" who buys/makes the items, and issues them. Policing the
wearing of them is a bit of a problem, not so much for the Historic
Interpreters, but for the Maintenance staff as their supervisors do not
enforce the wearing of the supplied clothing. Support staff are not always
'museum conscious' as their work, be it reception, maintenance, grounds,
sales or secretarial, is not unique to museums. They also do not come
usually come to us with a formal education in museums. Our senior office
staff tend to dress appropriately in office dress and most importantly, set
an example e.g.  I always wear a tie (unless doing dirty work that day).

There are times that feedback causes us to change things. One cashier booth
was terribly hot in the summer and cold in the winter, so rather than making
permanent major changes to the clothing worn, we worked on the environment
and added an air conditioner and heaters.

Dress codes - Clearly thought out, clearly stated/posted, consistent
implementation, monitoring and setting a good example are the keys to its
success.

I am presently a Captain with 583 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Cadets (youth
12 - 18 years old). We have strict national codes re: uniforms, hair,
jewellry, and make-up. These are made known at the beginning and are
enforced at all levels. The youths respond well and we are very proud of
them. For youths who do not wish to abide by these dress codes, they don't
have to - they simply don't join.

At a worksite, if the dress code is in place, clearly posted and/or made
available to all staff and volunteers before signing on and is enforced, it
should work. It is simply a condition of the job. It should even be included
in the interview process - "Here is the dress code, do you have any problems
with abiding by it if hired or signed on as a volunteer?"

Colin Macgregor Stevens
Museum Curator
Burnaby Village Museum
City of Burnaby,  BC,  CANADA
(604) 293-6500
Business: [log in to unmask]
Museum Webpage:
http://www.burnabyparksrec.org/villagemuseum/villagemuseum.html
Personal: [log in to unmask]  Personal website:
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net

Museum-L" (without the quotes).