From:
Robert Guinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 16:12:35 GMT
I hear this complaint a lot.  The software package changes but the complaint
is always the same.  I encourage you to be patient when dealing with databases
because no matter how nice and easy Windows can make things look, databases
are inhernetly complex.  You question is very common and If the answer youll
find below doesnt help, feel free to email me directly at [log in to unmask]
and I'd be happy to provide better information.

There are a few ways to do this in Paradox.  Before you start, you need make
sure that you have "like" data.  As an example of "like" data, lets say your
first table has a single name field that contains all the name information
such as: "Mr. Robert Guinn".  Now lets say your second table has separate
fields for Last Name, First Name and Salutation.  In this example, you don't
have a Paradox problem, you have a data problem.  You would have the same
problem if you were using Access, dBase, or even Oracle.  If this is your
problem, then ignore these instructions and provide me with some more details
about the field structures of the two tables.

Once you verify that your tables have "like" data, then you can do one of two
things.

1) If your tables are _exactly_ the same you and use the Table Add function
found under the Utilities submenu.

2) If your tables don't have the same structure, I recommend using an INSERT
QUERY.  To perform an insert Query, you will need to use the following
concepts:

Multi-Table Queries
Insert Query Command
Example Elements

Multi-Table Queries
To make a multi-table query, simply select File|New|Query from the menu bar.
You will be presented with a standard windows file selection box, listing all
the tables in the current working directory.  Select the two database tables
you wish to include in your query.  You can select two files at once by
holding down the CTRL key and then click on each file one time.

If you prefer to select the files one at a time, you can just select the first
table and click on "Ok" (this is necessary when the second table is in a
diferent directory).  You will see two buttons in the center of the button bar
that have a plus and a minus symbol.  These are used to add additional tables
to your Query Image.

Example Elements
Example elements are difficult to understand until you use them so don't worry
if this doesnt make sense, just follow the instructions and you will have
success.

Now that you have both tables in the Query Image, you will want to use example
elements to link the individual fields of the two tables.  An example element
is a placeholder for the value that is contained in each field of your table.
A query processes each record of data individualy according the instructions
you provide in the Query Image.  If you have a field called "Last Name" and
you place an example element under that field name in the Query Image, then
when the Query processes that record, the example element will hold the
contents of that field.

There is a button on the button bar that automaticaly generates an example
element.  Depress this button, move the mouse pointer to the field in the
first table that your wish to grab the data from and click the mouse.  You
should see a red entry appear in that field that says "join1".  Now move the
mouse pointer to the same field in the second table and click again.  You
should see the same example element appear in this field and the button on the
button bar will pop up.  Repeat this step for each field you wish to insert.

Once you have set up all your example elements, move the mouse pointer to the
blank area in the Query Image just below the table name of the table you want
to move the data into.  Click the mouse button and you will see a small pop up
menu with the choices "SET, DELETE, INSERT". Select insert and then run your
Query.

Your Query image should look something like this:

NAMES.DB   | First Name | Last Name | Salutation | Phone Number |
           | join1      | join2     | join3      | join4        |

NEWDATA.DB | Last Name | First Name | Salutation | Phone Number |
INSERT     | join2     | join1      | join3      | join4        |

Hope this helps with your "Paradox".  If you need some additional help or
clarification I'd be happy to help.

Robert Guinn
Cheseley-Merritt

Omnium Gatherum Membership Management & Fund Raising Software
-An innovative tool for long term growth-
Voice:  (888) 235-4456
        (415) 564-9736
Email:  [log in to unmask]
Fax:    (415) 731-4755