From:
Brian Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 1994 06:32:25 EDT
Further to Wayne LeBar's comments on virtual technologies:

There seems to be little useful distinction between education and
experience in this thread; instead, I see a circular definition of
museum interactives as educational because museums are educational.

With the growth of experiential education in museums (and elsewhere),
and what seems to me to be an assumption that experience--virtual
or otherwise--IS knowledge, museums--especially institutions such as
The Computer Museum and The Tech, which, since we focus on the techno-
logy, must constantly guard against looking down the wrong end of the
telescope--need to be able to clearly articulate the lines between
(and the problematics of) education, acculturation, and entertainment.
Museums engage in all of these activities.

Brian Wallace
Media Arts Exhibit Developer
Manager Historical Collection
The Computer Museum, Boston