From:
Erin Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:20:02 -0700
My recommendation would be to steam (not iron) the garments, which luckily isn't very expensive.  This is not going completely remove the wrinkles, but it will certainly begin the process of relaxing them.  Our textile conservator okayed steaming - the wrinkles and creases will do more damage over time than the humidity changes.  For anything beyond this, I would recommend you speak to a textile conservator.

There are many options for storage, hanging or laying flat, but the most important thing in my opinion is to have them stored in an inert environment that is free from acidic materials.  For skirts, it is probably easier to lay them flat.  You will want to be sure to stuff out any folds, though, or you will end up back where you were.  If you don't have any, you should be able to get some acid-free tissue without spending a ton of money.  If you can't afford acid-free boxes, then    make sure that you put an acid-free barrier between the garments and whatever you store them in.  The tissue would have to be changed every now and then to prevent the acids from migrating through the paper.

Erin Quinn
Collections Coordinator
City of Greeley Museums
919 7th Street
Greeley, CO 80631
(970) 350-9218

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/07/01 06:37PM >>>
i have two child's skirts made of rayon (i think) which are printed with a
design.  they're about 40 - 50 years old and have been left in a box
crumpled up. they are wrinkled and curled.  any suggestions on straightening
the skirts and storage possibilites? we are a small museum, so archival
materials are few and basic.

thanks in advance.

-rose ann osmanian