From:
Susannah West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 00:25:48 -0400
I may have  mentioned that our local Women's Club planted an herb garden at
the Rankin House. This last week one of the members brought a beautiful
sign that the club would like us to place in the garden.  It's on a piece of
roofing slate, and  is decorated with painted flowers and butterflies in
addition to the information that the garden was planted by the Ripley
Women's Club in memory of Mrs. Rankin.  It is just the piece of slate, with
no stake or  anything that we could  use to place it in the ground.   My
main concern is what kind of sealant we should  use on it to protect it from
 the  vagaries of the weather, as well as, with concerns  about  theft
and/or   vandalism, whether  we should  display it outside at all.  (This is
not an idle concern, as somebody used our entrance sign for target practice
20-25 years ago;  schoolkids sometimes ask if the bullet holes are left over
from Underground Railroad days!)

Susannah West
John Rankin House, Ripley, Ohio