From:
Scheffel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 14:16:28 EDT
Hi, MUSEUM-L-members,

we want to give a workshop about accession numbers and the problems to handle
them
in museum software packages. The workshop will take place in december in Germany

(Fortbildungszentrum fuer Museen, Brauweiler). There, we want to treat the
subjects:
- giving new numbers to new objects (recommended systems for accession numbers,
 relation between accession number and datafile)
- handling of inconsistent old numbering systems
- list of demands: what should museum software offer to support the handling of
(accession) numbers
- discussion with software providers (FirstRumos, GOS, HIDA, IMDAS)  about
possibilities and problems implementing those demands in their software
packages.

Now, we are looking for
* examples for numbering systems (accession numbers, catalogue numbers...)
* examples for the most horrible old accession numbers, a computer has ever
refused to sort correctly.

It would be a very big help for us, if you could send me examples of your own
museum work.
Thank you in advance,

Regine SCHEFFEL
Bayer. Nationalmuseum