Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:21:13 -0600
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
  [log in to unmask] wrote:

> > I haven't found there to be a market for art. A Market is defined as the
> > demand for some of this or that. A market is served by the producer.
> > A market for translates into : Food, Clothing, And Shelter- then perhaps
> > transportation. Is there a market for entertainment? Is there people
looking for
> > some thing to do this week-in? There is a market for skiing. The passion to
> > get at those ski slopes, or fast food restaurants is the indicator of a
market. Are people
> > waiting in line to:
> > do what? Like I haven't find people standing in line to get at art.
> >

> Ummmm... the "art" line isn't as noticible as some others, but it's
> there.  I've personally known galleries that cater to their clientel by
> allowing them advanced viewing of a popular artist's show, resulting in
> a number of 'red dots' at the time of the opening.  New professional
> buildings... banks, hotels, corporate offices... usually expect to
> purchase paintings, etc. and their decorators are constantly on the
> prowl for suitable works.  And some of the most exciting works around
> can be found in these locations... as well as some of the worst, but the
> same can be said of museums.  These remarks do not refer to high-end
> collectors, either.
>
> .....Karen Jacobs.....
> http://members.aol.com/kajojacobs/index.htm

An interesting answer to this question can be found at
http://www.bobsart.com/. This is a site I have been building for The
Robert J. Shiffler Collection and Archive.  Bobsart.com showcases a
world-class collection of cutting-edge contemporary art.  The
collection's quality makes the site worth visiting, but too, it hopefully
will "push" other important private collectors (not just contemporary art
interested) to get their holdings on line for the public to see and
curators to use.

Barry A. Rosenberg, Next Century Vision
The Robert J. Shiffler Collection and Archive
http://www.bobsart.com/