From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:25:32 -0400
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Nora Müeller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Further, as a teacher, I cringe at the notion that a museum staff member would attempt to keep kids out! It seems my days are spent convincing kids that museums are in fact, wonderful spaces, and available to them!

Museums are great but they aren't day care or drop-off facilities. Nor
are museum staff expected to act in loco parentis. Unaccompanied
children can be a huge liability to the museum. What if the kid gets
hurt, needs medication, or gets abducted? Who do you call? If you
don't see who dropped off the kid, how do you know who can pick the
kid up? What if the kid causes trouble? If there is no parent or
parent to contact, how do you deal with the kid? If you only have a
few staff, an unaccompanied child can pull staff away from other
visitors. That's not fair to other visitors nor good for business.

Deb Fuller