From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:54:17 -0800
Hi,

I have absolutely no issue with a "green" roof on a museum as long as
it is well designed - it can provide a huge benefit in energy savings
and also be an excellent insulator that will buffer the internal
environment from external temerature and relative humidity
fluctuations.

I DO have issues with underground museums or any structure that
exhibits or stores artistic, historic, and cultural objects at or
below the water table.

Water seeks the lowest level and then collects there. I have seen a
number of instances of underground facilities being flooded - from
either a supposed "100 year" event, to hurricanes, river flooding, to
even one instance with a garden pool on an upper level that
continually flooded into collections storage down below. And then
there is also the issue from power failure and the loss of temperature
and humidity control that will allow mold and mildew to take off.

I just see alot of inherent problems in underground museums and larger
costs to properly design and engineer redundant systems in them to
protect collections.

I find it ironic that collection storage and conservation labs are
almost always put in basements - maybe there's a reason why
administrative offices are not?

The issue is to anticipate that you WILL have a 100 year event someday
- and do you want to go through the hell of a disaster recovery for
collections or for offices or some other function of your instituion?

I well understand the attraction of an undergroud museum, but you need
to be aware of some of the potential problems as well.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator