From:
Steve Rooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 21:43:48 -0500
We all expect that some major change in government arts funding is coming.
 Block grants may be one.  Another may be accelerating the consolidation of
disciplines (already underway at NEA), perhaps even  the elimination of
project funding in favor of GOS grants.  This might provide a cost reduction
for the various agencies, reduce paperwork and compliance costs for
recipients, and because specific projects would no longer receive direct
grants, reduce exposure to potential upsets w/arts conservatives.

We would still submit annual apps.  And there would be peer panel review.
 But it would be only unrestricted GOS.  And all who can pass professional
muster would receive.  There would be minimum and maximum grant amounts.  The
range awarded would be based on the recipient's operating budget.  The apps
would be like a less intense version of the IMS GOS.

We may also see consolidation of the agencies into one arts/humanities
agency.  Or, we may see them all zapped!  Scary biz.  (These are my thoughts,
only -- not based on rumors from D.C.!)

Steve Rooney
International Center of Photography