From:
"LeBrun, Aimee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:00:06 -0400
Katherine,
Thanks for that-we have run school programs for years, and in the past few
we've developed a partnership with both the Boston Public School
Kindergartens and Boston area Headstart programs and have had great luck
getting those funded...we're starting to look at the Other programs we offer
and how we can present ourselves as a viable 'field trip' while offering a
truely unique, museum, object based learning experience. we currently offer
several one hour programs and 2 two hour programs-the most popular are
centered around our Japanese House (a 250 year old house from Kyoto, Japan,
re-built by Japanese workers using traditional methods) and our Native New
England program taught by a Native American Educator. I believe we will keep
these programs-We have lots of repeat teachers who bring their class in
every year.
        In the past, we offered short 20 minute programs geared towards
first and second grade..we found that teachers were rarely prepared for
these, and that staff spen most of the time trying to corral the group and
didnt' have time to get into any depth. so. i'm wondering what other museums
are doing: do you offer 1 hour programs?, are your programs 'drop-in'?, do
you create programs directed at certain ages? do you provide pre/post visit
materials?
do you find the educational component within your museum is well supported?
thanks all for your feedback-
Aimee
Aimee LeBrun
School and Community Group Access Coordinator
The Children's Museum, Boston
300 Congress St.
Boston, MA 02210
617 426-6500 x405