From:
Prevart GmbH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:48:27 +0200
Hallo Timothy,

We are at the moment planning 10000m2 new storage facilities for
historic collections of all kind.

Compact storage typically never works together with sprinkler unless you
have sprinklers *inside* the shelvings (e.g. used in chemical industry
but very expensive). I don't see a particular danger with compact
shelving as the objects are somewhat enclosed within the shelves and the
possibility that a fire is spreading is very limited. One possibility to
improve (theoretically)  the situation ist to use a metal backing
betweeen two adjacent shelves on one moving unit. When the compact
shelving ist closed there are at the most two rows of shelves (from two
dfferent mobile units) open to each other. This limits the use of the
space (no double size compartments in the shelves).
Another point ist, that we use more and more perforated front panels to
mobile shelves in order to get a certain amount of air circulation
within the shelves (standard in libraries but not yet in museums). This
feature is in contradiction to the enclosing of the objects mentioned
above.

The easiest way to minimize the fire hazard in stoarge areas is to
eliminate all electric and electronic equipment within the stoarge area
when not in use (no standby!). *All* power is automaticly switched off
when you leave the room. Look for storage compartments that are not too
big and well protected from each other (fireproof doors). Good
housekeeping within and around storage areas is another point to consider.

I fully agree that the padding and mounting of objects (ethafoam,
PE-foam, cardboard etc.) is a big (and growing) problem. Even after
extensive research in that field we haven't found a better solution yet
(inert, long life, fireproof, inexpensive, etc). I wonder if somebody
has new ideas for this old problem?

Keep cool
Joachim

Prevart GmbH - Museumsplaner - Konzepte für die Kulturgütererhaltung
Oberseenerstrasse 93
CH-8405 Winterthur (Switzerland)
T + 41 (0)52 233 12 54
F + 41 (0)52 233 12 57