From:
"Burke, Laurence M. II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:00:51 -0500
Since others have contemplated remounting the globes anyway, why not do
this:

Remove the globe from its arm, mount it on a new stand within a plexi case.
From one of the poles (top might have fewer problems to deal with), mount a
rod so that it is firmly attached to the globe (will allow you to turn the
globe with it) and extends through a hole in the plexi case.  Then mount a
knob or something on the end of the rod.  This setup has the added advantage
that visitors can turn the globe without actually touching it.  Not only
will this prevent soccer games, but will also prevent vandalism to the globe
itself  (I would think if it's in an unsupervised area of a mall that it's
ripe for "tagging") and will also prevent wear of the globe's surface.

Larry Burke
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania