From:
Kevin Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 02:40:36 GMT
What I am about to suggest does NOT mean that I think we shouldn't do
slave history.

However, I think that Americans feel a safe distance from the
Holocaust. After all, it happened "over there," and we fought on the
side of the "good guys." Over simplified, yes, but it makes the
history more palatable.

Slavery, on the other hand, happened here. It brings up difficult, and
very personal questions about persistent racism in America. It asks us
to address issues about who we are as a people on this continent, and
the answers aren't easy to swallow.

Just my two cents.

Denise Meringolo