From:
Richard Efthim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:12:21 -0500
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Public Programs Collections
Date:    97-02-25 17:00:06 EST
From:    NatCenter
To:      [log in to unmask]

you wrote:
<<I would be grateful if anybody has some thoughts on this subject that
could help me with my definition.>>

At the Smithonian's National Museum of Natural History we had to
try to come up with such a definition as part of our collections
management policy.  We recognized three levels within our
collections (actually five if I include the two you seem to
have a handle on)

1.  Study collections:  These would be collections you'd have in
you future study centre.  They are considered "expendable" in that
if they are destroyed over time, there is little important loss to
research.  However, they may have monetary value.  The collections
are for older kids and adults to use for serious studies.  They are
expected to last well over 10 years (hopefully over a 100) despite
public access.  (that does not just refer to durability, but careful
management and handling by the public of more delicate items.
These items, while non-accessioned, are catalogued and otherwise
treated like a regular part of the museum's collection.

2.  Discovery Room collections:  These are used in the childrens
hands-on center.  They are ususally durable but because of their
heavy use, have an anticipated lifespan of less than 10 years...and
maybe less than one.  Because of the "rapid" deterioration and
replacement, they are not catalogued.  An inventory of items is
most likely needed because of the need to keep replacements on
hand.

3.  Teaching collections.  These collections fall somewhere in
between.  They are objects assembled for school tour programs
in the exhibits.  They are handled quite a bit, but not as much
as in the Discovery Room.  Some items might only be used for
show and not for touch.  There are probably the fewest number
of these of the three catagories because they are assembled
for specific tour programs.  Their longevity is also somewhere
in between the two previous catagories.

In other words, the definitions we use relate to the degree
that the public programs collections are "used"  Their use
affects the level of collections documentation and management.

Only items that are accessioned are likely those things on loan
whether intra-mural or inter-mural.  Because of the
risk of expendibility to the items in the Public Programs
collection, it was decided it was too much paperwork to go
through the deaccessioning process each time an object was
lost or destroyed.  So items may be "acquired" but not
accessioned.  It also avoids the possible conflicts posed by
having two departments in the same museum accessioning
similar materials.  Who decides what to accession?  Well, you
probably get the picture, there.

So, how are things at MoV?  I was there just a year ago helping
to plan for the study centre.  I had a simply super time.  It was
my first trip down under and I'll remember it with great fondness.
I think I learned as much about study centres while I was there
as everyone learned from me.  When does the packing start?
Have they broken ground on the new place yet?

Rich Efthim
Naturalist Center
Smithsonian Institution