Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:24:07 +0000
I recently rescued some very old horsehair from a badly-decomposed mattress
(never accessioned) found in the attic of our historic house that was too far
gone to be saved. I would like to sew it up in some scrap fabric as a hand-on
for kids who are dying to touch our horsehair-stuffed couch. But none of us
knows the best way to treat this stuff to ensure it's free from critters,
mold, dust, and so on. Would it be better to attempt hand-washing it? Or would
it be more effective to put through a few cycles of freezing and thawing? Or
something else altogether? We're not talking much here - just a handful or so.

Thanks,
Leslie Goddard
Manager of Programs and Education
Evanston Historical Society