From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 09:51:23 -0400
This came from the pen of a Deep South congressman.  I found it mildly
amusing that in this day and age, there are those who, holding public
office, still ride those horses.

Among the museum world's biggest benefactors, more individuals think along
his lines than we care to acknowledge.  Generally, those of substantial
means have no "liberal agendas."  They don't accept the idea that everyone
has a right to this job and that "entitlement."

Yet we court them, we schmooze them, throw big parties for them, name wings
and buildings after them, and in general go out of our way to honor them.
Government museums are, let's face it, politicized in far too many
communities and states -- and we  still do what's necessary to line up the
decision-makers on our behalf.

In doing so, we keep our collective conscience in our pockets.