From:
Kathy Henri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:31:00 -0800
Hello Listers,
I have a question that I am sure this group can help me with. Our museum has
a collection of farm implements, both horse-drawn and power-driven, that we
are in the process of securing a satellite museum site for. The committee
that oversees this collection and museum project wants to begin working on
the equipment to get it ready for display. Our aim is not to restore the
pieces to showroom quality, but to get some of them in running condition and
cleaned up a little. (We will probably get one or two of our better pieces
into showroom quality, but that will be later on.)

To that end, committee members have suggested an Adopt-a-Tractor program,
since the Museum doesn't have a budget or ready source of funds to pay for
this kind of work. Several committee members have already volunteered their
time and money, but I don't want to start until we have at least some
procedures in place. Do any of you have guidelines for this kind of program
that you'd be willing to share with me? I'm aware that we'll need to set
limits as to kind of work done, products used, length of time allowed for
the work, etc., and that we'll need to solicit other community members to
join the program so that our committee isn't doing all the work. Any
insights you have would be most helpful!
Thank you,

Kathy Henri
Collections Manager/Asst. Curator
Ventura County Museum of History & Art