Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 11:14:00 EDT
HELP!  I run a small museum at the Dayton VA Medical Center.  Although
small, the place has great potential if it had the right sort of
nurturing from the administrators here who can nurture projects like
this one.  About a month ago, the museum acquired a patron saint, an
administrator who decided that the museum should be a high-priority
project.  He says he wants the museum to be a "significant community
attraction".  Without going into details of Federal budgets, FTEE
cutbacks, etc, the museum could be a community attraction, but that means
real attention needs to be focused on creating a museum of high-quality
professional standards of management, exhibitry, collections care and
funding.  (Oooh--I think I'm dreaming!)

This administrator is contemplating moving the museum to a historic
1880s Library on the grounds.  There would be some benefits to the
move by having increased accessibility and visibility, increased
exhibit space and storage areas.  BUT the place isn't heated or
air conditioned properly (like no heat at all on the 2nd or 3rd floors);
it is seriously infested with about 100 years worth of silverfish and
worse; it is a lighting nightmare (windows, windows, everywhere!); and
the building has been broken into on several occasions.  Add to that the
fact that I might not have a choice about the move as there are behind-
the-scenes motives for moving the museum from its present location.

AND NOW THE PROBLEM:  I have bureaucrats talking to other bureaucrats
about "what to do with the museum" without any of them talking to me.
They believe that one building is just the same as another.  I have been
asked to draft a proposal about the museum and how to turn it into this
"community attraction".  I see this as an opportunity to direct some of
the enthusiasm of the administrator for the project into consideration
of the substantial issues regarding exhibitry, professional standards,
collections care and storage, and security.  Any suggestions???
Are there any articles written for the public (as opposed to museum
professionals) which help "educate" about these issues?  Any and all
suggesions and advice are welcomed!!

Melissa R. Smith
Dayton Veterans Museum
VA Medical Center