From:
"Ross Weeks Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 23:28:32 -0500
In our rural Appalachian region, we see as a service to our community our
ability to provide worthwhile work to those in difficulty, usually the
young people.

So many at-risk high schoolers have gained self-confidence and skills under
the supervision of our caring staff, that we are all grateful for their
later successes.  We will not accept community service referrals unless the
individuals have no indication of a drug problem.

But we've had great adults -- two of whom we later employed part-time --
doing clerical, secretarial, grounds, and crafts work.  Our membership
secretary for some time was assigned on a second offense bad check charge.
After two years, she was charged with a third and we had to let her go.

We also take high school students who are eligible for aid under the Jobs
Training & Placement Act, and many of them have troubled homes.  We do our
best with them, and it's been useful to them and to us in most instances.
They are paid through the JTPA program.  Some use their income to buy cars
and some save it for a chance to start college.  Many use it to help put
meat and potatos on the table for supper.

As to our insurance rates (and we are a collections-rich museum) there has
been absolutely NO effect on them, despite the warning from the
professional security respondent.   Our collections are safe no matter
what, and so are our visitors.  It is only a matter of supervision and
appropriate controls -- and providing a positive and caring work
environment for those in difficulty.

In an earlier position with a state museum, I did turn down the offer of
convict labor on our grounds solely because of a personal conviction -- the
idea of men going around with a guard holding a shotgun, doing work in
public, is a Southern vestige of the days we all ought to be putting behind
us.  Serving time is punishment enough --  but to be paraded around out in
public is demeaning and unnecessary, in my opinion.

Ross Weeks, Jr.
Tazewell, VA