From:
Jan Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 21:41:46 MDT
 P.1 contained results data from people who landed jobs through cold letter
resumes.

Other people who responded suggested memberships in regional museum
associations, using computer job searches, continuing with AVISO, and
identifying directors, etc. by name.  An earlier thread on the list pointed to
museum conferences as a way to eventually land a job.

I have not yet used the cold-letter approach, but I do intend to do so.

What I have done so far:  I belong to a number of professional organizations,
including AAM, New Mexico Association of Museums, AAA, Texas Junior College
Teachers Association, and Women's Caucus for Art.  Plus, I belong to several
honor societies.   I've given papers at two conferences and have made other
other public presentations.  Job hunting methods used:  AVISO subscription,
Chronicle of Higher Education subscription, job lines (800 and non-800),
various computer job banks, newspaper classifieds on-line, labor department,
museum-l, museum-ed, anthro-l, word-of-mouth, university career center, etc.
Right now, I try to go to the NM labor dept and career center once/twice
weekly.  I check on-line job sources once/twice weekly.  I call local job lines
often.  I call non-local job lines on rotation basis (because of costs).  I
have purchased (but not yet received) a national 800 directory, which includes
800 job line numbers, university numbers, etc.  I call the federal job line
number weekly and also check the federal job listings at the career center.
During the semester, my efforts become somewhat more sporadic, as I get
swamped with my teaching duties (I'm a p-t college instructor) and my own
post-graduate studies.  However, I plan to be more consistent with applying
the above methods I've mentioned.  Maybe some of the methods I mentioned
above might be helpful to other job hunters.  I wish you all well in your
own job searches.  Oh!  I remembered something else. Whenever I find out that
a place requires applicant to fill out the institutional, municipal,
county, etc. application form, I ask for one to be sent.  This way, I have
a form ready to use.

Note:  I will be posting a new query shortly.

Jan Wilson, 1701 N. Valley Dr. #62, Las Cruces, NM  88005
505-527-4184

I've 3 apps out right now (advertised positions).  Keep your fingers crossed
for me!  :-)