From:
Sharon Buford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 00:26:41 +0000
I need some help from the list. Several years ago (1999) there was an
exhibit at the Canadian Museum of Architecture (I hope I didn't screw up the
name) on Carlo Scarpa, a brilliant designer(of museum exhibits) and
architect. This exhibit included his drawings and photos of his work by an
Italian photographer.

I am researching his renovation and addition to the Gipsoteca Canoviana,
Possagno, Treviso, Italy. The photos that I have seen show a wonderful
(abeit small - 1500 sq ft)space that uses natural light to highlight the
plaster casts. This was quite an inovation at the time. My research is an
analysas of the way a "modern" addition was made to a historic building and
his use of natural light, and a fixed path through the exhibit space.

I need several things and would appreciate any help from the list.

1. Does anyone know where the "home" for the drawings are? I would like to
get copies of the plans and sections.

2. Has anyone visited since the NEW addition in 1992 (by one of Scarpa's
pupils) - I would like to see a photo if possible - I have tried web
searches and have had no luck. I have also looked at many museum books and
can find no mention there either. I would like to see where and the style of
the addition. (PS if you have and have a "map" of the spaces I would be
happy to pay for copy and mailing costs)

3. Does anyone know when the orginal space was altered after Scarpa's
renovation in 1956/7? A book published in 1986 states that there was "no
trace of his work left", however it does not elaborate.

4. If you have visited this musuem, what were your impressions? Did you like
the use of natural light? how about the "fixed path" in this gallery? Did
the area seem small or did it's size help you to focus on the "object". How
does the off center placement of "The Graces" really work in the space? Any
other thoughts.

Thanks so much.

Sharon A. Williamson Buford
Grad Student
University of Kentucky - Historic Preservation