Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:01:36 -0600
melissa - there's no set way to figure per square foot.  the way i've always
done it is to develop a project budget with the appropriate categories -
then fill in the blanks.

even if you don't account formally for inhouse staff time, its good to
estimate, because it gives you a better idea of actual project cost.

in-house labor (don't forget to figure in an overhead - we used rate +30%)
temp. labor (overhead if needed)
rental fees
shipping fees (inbound and outbound)
additional insurance (if required)
gallery prep (painting and patching (if required)
framing
misc. hardware, hanging, extension cords, etc.
environmental elements (design, fabrication & installation)
graphics (if they're done out of house) call your local friendly print place
and get a cost per sheet for production or per square feet.  also, if
graphics are being designed outside - same thing....get an idea from an
expert on how to budget.  they'll help you narrow the scope of what you're
trying to accomplish (or should).
light bulbs (if special lighting required).
av equipment (probably capital and one time?)
software for av
special cases for special objects
tools

i come from a science center background, so its a little different, but
think you get the idea.

what i think you'll find after a few of these shows is you'll develop a gut
feel for the numbers, depending on what exactly it is you are doing.

hope this helps!

jeff courtman
mind-works