From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:24:48 -0700
Okay, i seemed to have channeled columnist Jan Herman when I wrote my response
as I didn't read his piece until afterwards. :)

I looked at the statue again and had the same reaction, to me it looked like a
woman falling, not actually hitting the ground. Disturbing, tragic but not
worthy of taking it down.

As for memorializing tragic events, what picture first comes to mind when you
think "Oklahoma City bombing"? To me, it's the picture of the firefighter
holding the body of a baby as he emerges from the rubble. That was plasted all
over the media and comes up almost every time there's a story on the bombing.
The big picture from the Vietnam era is of a Vietnamese girl covered in blood
running from a napalm blast. Likewise, the Holocast has its share of bodies in
various states of abuse, death and decay. These images are far more prevallent
in our society that a statue in Rockerfeller Square.

Perhaps the statue was bad timing but for some people, any reminder of that
day, even the one of the firefighters hoisting the flag in the rubble, will
bring back painful memories. Other people need to see such images to understand
what went on.

As I stated before, I think the statue is a lot more tasteful and discrete than
the constant wash of media sensationalism that went on for 9-11 and around the
anniversary. It's bled into our society so much that one cannot escape it
without practically leaving the country. I'm much rather see a few statues put
up and people allowed to mourn and move on with their own lives in their own
way than the media frenzy that has happened.

Deb