From:
Mark Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 1994 08:59:56 EDT
On Thu, 7 Jul 1994 09:45:20 +100 Helle Jensen said:

>But if you do know about any films or videos about the subjects
>mentioned above I would be very pleased to receive any information
>you may have.

Time-Life Video and Television
1450 East Parham Road
Richmond, Virginia, 23280
USA

Telephone (804) 266-6330

You may find the audio visual materials catalogue which I developed here
useful.  Its called WatMedia and is accessable via gopher.  It currently
contains information on over 42,700 titles and acts as a union catalogue
for the 22 universities of the Province of Ontario.  We are currently
adding data on materials available commercially as well.  Due to funding
and staff cuts not everything is adequately described, but what is, is
quite useful.  It is not intended as a reviews database and we try to
maintain a neutral stance when describing an item (unfortunately not
always successfully).

Name=Audio Visual Centre
Type=1
Port=70
Path=1/departments/Audio Visual Centre
Host=uwinfo.uwaterloo.ca

or

Name=WatMedia
Type=1
Port=70
Path=1/departments/Audio Visual Centre
Host=watserv2.uwaterloo.ca

The Watserv2 IP address is 129.97.128.100

There is a Hints for searching the WatMedia SPIGopher in the same menu.
The LC subject headings index is not terribly useful because most of the
Ontario universities do not use LCSH for their AV materials.

For your request I'd suggest you start by trying the INSB index with the
term CLASSICS and the PLACE index with GREECE.

In the same gopher menu I've added WatDist a database of distributors'
addresses, covers about 1000 companies we've dealt with, can't guarantee
the currency of all the data, staff cuts again, but we're trying to keep
it as up-to-date as possible.  If you don't have Liz Avison's Guide to
Non-Theatrical film/video Distribution in Canada (ISBN 0-9692916-6-3)
you should get it, its very useful.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Mark Ritchie                   | Tel: (519) 888-4070
Media Librarian                | Fax: (519) 888-6197
Audio-Visual Centre            |
University of Waterloo         | Internet: [log in to unmask]

"I was just out of college and still believed in classifications and
categories" - Jean Renoir