From:
Jim Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2009 05:06:08 -0500
While the Creationist/Evolutionist debate is currently the one probably causing most anxiety for museum professionals, there have been many other similar (if perhaps not so fundamental) debates through which museums have had to pick a careful way (e.g. sexual censorship of art, representation of slavery, even the naming of slightly obscure Mercian tribes in the UK).

My views on one side of the Creationist/Evolutionist question are the strongest possible; I think those who disagree with me are SO wrong, but I don't intend to air them here - come down to my local bar and buy me a drink and I'll set you right.

However, a museum has to tell what 'it' believes to be the truth. It has to arrive at a conclusion it can genuinely back and not sit on the fence. However, it also (however much it goes against the grain) has to respect the sincerely held views of those who disagree. What it does NOT have to do is back down under threats of sanctions. There will always be disagreements about what is true, what should be represented as truth and what should be shown as a legitimate ongoing debate, but one thing is sure: picketing will not define the Truth (capital intended).

In discussions, I want to propound my opinion and persuade others to agree. What I should NOT do is jump all over theirs. In my humble opinion, there's no such thing as a humble opinion.

Jim Roberts