From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:25:39 -0700
Your questions sound very familar. I served on the
Board of Trustees of the Andrew Carnegie Free Library
and Music Hall, which included operation of a small
Civil War Museum, in the small Pittsburgh suburb of
Carnegie, Pennsylvania in the late 1990s (this
institution has one full-time and seven part-time
employees). These are problems experienced by many
small non-profits.

I am not sure what your Constitution or By-Laws says
about Board membership or quorum requirement. However,
in general you need Board members who will provide
some commitment to the institution. If they are not
willing to, at least, attend a monthly--or even
quarterly--Board meeting, they should be asked,
politely, to leave the Board so someone who has more
time to commit to the institution can join the Board.

That said, you will always have a few Board members
who do almost everything, while others barely do
anything. It is unfortuate, but it comes with the
territory. In some ways, this could be a good thing.
At least, the slacker Board members are not getting in
your way!

>   A board member has proposed that:
>
>   1) Each board member have a fund raising goal of
> $1000 per year
>   2) Each board member have a membership sign-up
> goal of 10 members a year
>   3) Each board member will work at least five
> events a year, or find a subsitute volunteer
>   4) Each board member will do their best to attend
> meetings, or at least arrange a proxy vote
>   5) Each board member will join as a member of the
> museum (which is very reasonable at $10 per year for
> seniors, or $15 per year for regular individual)

All laudable, but very idealistic goals. I think you
could reasonably mandate items 4 and 5--although I am
not a fan of proxy voting for Board members. It is
going to be difficult to enforce the other goals.

Your institution needs a long-range/strategic plan to
address the funding needs of the institution. And,
from what you have said, you need this very soon. If I
were you, I would go on the Internet looking for
similar long-range plsns; then YOU prepare a draft
long-range plan for adoption by the Board.

Once usch a plan is adopted--and it should include
Board participation requirements--then you have
benchmarks to judge the progress of the plan, and
Board participation.

Hope these comments help.

gaw