From:
Kate Boardman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 07:32:46 EST
I would be interested in the results of your query.

Contact the Emerson Gallery at Hamilton College in Clinton, NY. They mounted
a show about 15 years ago called "The Art of Music" which brought period
paintings and instruments together for social context. There was a catalogue
of the show produced.

Also, contact the folks at the Museums at Stony Brook (Stony Brook, Long
Island, NY). There was a wonderful exhibit, colloquium, school programs,
public programs, publications package on William Sydney Mount and music.
Again, combining art, artifacts, music, dance and social history in a lasting
way.

Laurence Libin at the Metropolitan Museum of Art has done some nice work with
the musical instrument collection, including a recorded acoustic tour.

At The Farmers' Museum in Cooperstown, we are trying to add more live music
throughout the season with staff and volunteers playing period or
reproduction instruments: fiddle, melodeon,parlor guitar, pipe organ, square
grand piano, fife, drum and tin whistle. Also, our 1840s band and singing
school perform period music regularly. We have a school workshop program on
historic instruments with which includes making a tin can banjo. Many
open-air museums use period music and instruments their programming and
interpretation for the public.

Katie Boardman
Associate Director of Interpretation
The Farmers' Museum