From:
Tim Talbott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 08:54:48 -0500
Help!

My institution is considering switching to digital photography for
collections records, but we're having trouble finding out how much disk
space a scanned image will require.  We cannot deal with the one image
per one 3.5" floppy disk that one saleman told me (10,000 disks for
10,000 items?  Surely not?).  I don't think we will need the highest
resolution scans for reference images, but how high of resolution should
we consider, and how many bytes will they take up?  Do black and white
images require significantly less space, or is there much difference?

If we purchase a CD write drive, is there an approximate number of images
we might hope to store per CD?

Any advice given on or off list would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks!

Tim Talbott
Curator of History, Early American Museum