From:
Stanley Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:09:46 GMT
JHANDLEY <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>     Sometime back, I read a news article that stated that the original
>     Winnie the Pooh and other characters were housed in the New York
>     Public Library--now, of course, I cannot find the article.  Does
>     anyone know the exact location of these famous toys?

>     Thanks much.

>     John Handley

>American Academy of Ophthalmology
>http://www.eyenet.org

Hi -

Pooh and friends are at the Donnell Library, across the street from
the Museum of Modern Art on West 53 Street in Manhattan.  Our mayor
used this controversy as another chance to be a big shot, but that's
besides the point.  The real story is that this Pooh is not really the
one that was the model for the drawings by Ernest Shepard; he used his
own child's bear, now lost, as the real model.  The drawings for the
other animals, though, were based on the animals at the library.

President Clinton and PM Blair also alluded to the controversy when
Blair visited NYC.

Stanley Greenberg