From:
Julie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:13:37 -0500
As others have stated, it depends on the size of the institution.  We have a
$1.9 million budget, 350,000 guests served each year by 21 full-time and 9
part-time staff members (plus some 90 contract teachers) and employ several
different individuals to do the tasks you identify.  When you specialize you
can generally command more money, as follows based on what we experience
here:

PR Associate--writes press releases, communicates with media and schedules
placements, appears at public locations to represent the Art Center (I
suppose she earns around $22,000 per year)

Publications Associate--coordinates all printed materials (we produce
approximately 100 each year), also edits newsletter, creates all in-building
signage, oversees design and content of website but does not actually serve
as webmaster  (probably in the $20,000-$25,000 range)

Development Associate--writes some grants and all grant reports, monitors
grant compliance, supervises some smaller fundraising initiatives (probably
around $26,000-$28,000)

The communications and administrative paperwork is handled by each
department on its own--who and how varies--I know that in our department, I
have an associate who does most of it in addition to helping our gallery
tech install exhibitions, plus she handles some smaller exhibitions all on
her own and helps develop gallery-related education programs--she is in the
$25,000-$27,000 range.

Everyone puts in tons of overtime and we all work very hard for what
probably seems to you to be an embarrassment of riches.  I can, however,
tell you that when I was just starting out fresh from grad school, I did all
the things you indicate in a smallish, 4-staff-person university museum with
the title of Assistant to the Director (plus I trained student guards, was
liaison to the Friends of the Gallery, coordinated exhibition catalogues and
did a lot of financial record-keeping) and started at $19,500 per year in
1986 (ended 4 yrs later at around $25,000).  It was not my first museum job
either.

Julia Muney Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center
820 E. 67th St.
Indianapolis, IN  46220
(317) 255-2464 x233