From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:15:12 -0500
I'd like to hear from colleagues who have tried their own versions of
antique road shows. We recently experimented with this idea and found it as
educational an experience for the staff as for our visitors!

Our museum is small and cramped and the only decent open space we have is
outside on our courtyard. Unfortunately it is used non-stop for programming
all summer. In September, we rented two large, linked tents to create a
giant marquee, with temporary lighting and electical and LAN connections,
with tables around the perimeter where staff met with visitors. We had
between 400 and 500 visitors during the day, despite the rain, very little
publicity and our having no parking for visitors. Quite a few of the
visitors simply wanted to see what was happening and what other people were
bringing in; a few knew exactly what they had, but wanted to know if WE
knew. Most had only a vague idea of what they had and were delighted to
learn more. We did get some donations out of the show but, much more
important, we helped quite a number of people appreciate just what they
owned and to learn how to better take care of these artifacts. After the
visitors had gone, we had a staff barbeque and dance, so it turned into a
very pleasant and satisfying day for our staff. We'll do it again.

What did we learn?

1. If you want people to bring in anything even moderately heavy, you'd
better have nearby parking available; people won't carry very much, very
far.

2. You need LOTS of chairs for people waiting for the "experts" to examine
their treasures - and it's a good idea to have a supply of tea and coffee
for them, while they're waiting.

3. Good lighting and a plentiful supply of magnifiers is essential; it is
embarrassing to have to duck outside the tent to have a squint at the
engaving on something - especially in the rain! Considering that virtually
every examining table will need such equipment, a really good power supply
is an essential. I have since acquired a large desk magnifier, incorporating
a fluorescent light; I only hope I will have some place to plug it in, next
show!

4. You will quickly find out where you need more reference material. I was
examining orders, medals and decorations and had brought a box of reference
books. I was still stumped when a visitor brought in a number of First World
War Austro-Hungarian medals and I also had trouble telling another exactly
which class of the Japanese Order of the Rising Sun he was showing me. I am
ordering a series of additional reference books to be ready for next time!

5. Don't rely on high-tech. Our expensive new LAN connection functioned for
about half an hour before packing it in which is when we discovered that our
systems people had no one standing by to help.

6. Be prepared for LOTS of people and have a plan for handling them. I
shudder to think how many visitors we would have had, had we been better
advertised, had a parking lot and had the day been sunny!

7. This kind of fixture needs LOTS of advertising. We had many calls from
people who heard about it AFTER the event. Indeed, one gentleman was over at
my home last evening with a large German naval flag on which he wanted an
opinion.

I would be interested in learning of YOUR experiences in conducting this
kind of project.

Harry

Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]