From:
Ralph Hutto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:31:57 -0800
Reid wrote:

> Greetings,
>         I don't have alot of museum experience, but I do have a ton of computer
> experience. YES! THE PEOPLE WILL PLAY WITH THE KNOBS AND BREAK THEM!! Now
> that that is out of my system...The best way to do this is to use a kiosk
> system. These are systems that are made for high traffic areas, i.e. malls
> etc, everything is locked up except for a very durable keyboard or
> trackball, and ventalation for the monitor is built in. There are companies
> that rent these, and since they are just PCs in a fancy box, any software
> you were planning to run should be fine. Some have a touch screen monitor,
> which means that nothing is exposed. The ads in the back of most decent PC
> magazines should point the way.
> Hope it helps.
> Reid
>
> Heidi Anderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article
> > Hello all museum-l'ers out there.  I have a question for y'all.
> > I am currently helping to plan an exhibit that will use a variety of
> > interactive displays, one of which will be the use of computers.  My
> question
> > is:  How should the computers be displayed?  Would it be ok for the
> monitors
> > and trackballs to sit on a table with the CPU's locked up in a cabinet
> close by
> > or should the monitors be housed?  Personally I think they should be
> enclosed
> > in some kind of case so that visitors can't play with dials and buttons
> visible
> > on the front of the monitors, but to save expense, the exhibit designer
> thinks
> > they will be ok alone on the table.  What do y'all think?
> > Thanks for your help
> > Heidi
> >

> > Heidi L. Anderson
> > The Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Collections Assistant

I have twenty plus years as a designer in museums and related
environments.  There is no question.

The computer should be designed into a protective environment.  I don't
know if I would exactlly call it a kiosk...kiosk sounds too commercial.

Museum experience has taught me to PROTECT. Children,especially, are
very creative.  They can find methods to get into areas you don't want
them.

We have had success with a glide point pad.  We tried various track
balls as well as the super large one provided by Microsoft-but the pad
fills our needs as well as the visitor.