From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:52:38 -0600
I can't offer any suggestion as to why use "National" instead of U.S.,
but I do know that a few years ago, some of the Canadian national
museums changed the "National" in their names to "Canada" (IE., the
National Aviation Museum, whom I was working with in producing an
exhibit at the time, changed to the Canada Aviation Museum--we had to
change all our credit lines at the last minute!).  One of the reasons,
as I understand it, was to create a more recognizable international
identity; with the ever-shrinking world brought to us through the
Internet, "National Aviation Museum" could be any country's national
museum; Canada Aviation Museum can only be the one in Ottawa.

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/28/02 07:47AM >>>
A member of my board recently brought up an interesting question. We
are in
the process of starting a new institution and are settling on a name.
Although
I already have an agreement for "National Speedskating Museum and Hall
of
Fame," this Board member wondered why we would use "National" instead
of
"U.S." So many other institutions use "National" as well that we
wondered what
reason, if any, existed to explain this?

I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks in advance for you help.

Sincerely,

George Garner
Director and Curator
National Speedskating Museum and Hall of Fame

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).