From:
IntlArtCop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 05:33:32 -0500
I agree with the post that most of the time the subject of the post does
not have to be abbreviated in the Subject line. I can usually but not
always pick out what I need to read and what I don't.  But the subject
lines that need more thought are those that are vague like "Need
Information" (About What?), "Job Description" (I'll read it if it is
asking for help writing one or involves my specialty but not if it is
irrelevant to me), etc.
Since this is a group of people who have mastered the art of putting a lot
of information on a little 4 by 5 card on the wall next to an exhibit, I
would think we could fill in the "Subject" line with enough information to
help others decide if it is relevant to them.
It reminds me of the conversation I heard on a guard's radio in a museum.
The guard said he wanted to report a lost child. All heck broke loose only
to find that he really wanted to report a found child. The two events are
handled very differently and involve entirely different people. One
implies the kid is safe while the other implies that he may be in serious
danger.
We should all re-read the subject line before posting to be sure it
properly conveys the message.
Steve Keller