From:
Richard Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 13:37:14 -0800
On Fri, 13 Jan 1995, Eric Siegel wrote:

>           Richard:
>           I think your critique of my modest proposal for arts block
>           grants was very much to the point, though I disagree with
>           your statement that the Republicans' hidden agenda is to
>           avoid giving money to the states. My idea came from the new
>           thrust of moving "welfare" payments to state block grants,
>           and the positive response that proposal has received on many
>           fronts, including liberal democratic governors.
>
>           The whole Republican agenda, to interpret it *extremely*
>           generously, is to devolve control of funding to the most
>           local possible level. When possible, they think, the funding
>           should devolve to the individual. Nothing philosophically
>           objectionable about this, though, once again, this summary
>           is being more positive about the Republican agenda than it
>           deserves.
>
>           Eric Siegel

Eric:

My own take on the conservative agenda on this regard is that their desire
is to cut _all_ funding to the arts.  To them the problem is not merely
trimming the federal budget or cutting out the cultural imperialists inside
the Beltway -- it's the principle of subsidy to those who might be critical
of a conservative unicultural hegemony.  For other substantiation of this
perspective on the conservative agenda, see also Chris Bobbitt's forwarded
summary from January 4, 1995, originally disseminated to the folklore
discussion list (if you like I can send you another copy).