From:
Mary McLellan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:09:39 -0500
>Subject: Richard Martin
>
> From the New York
>>Times on the web.
>>
>>November 9, 1999
>>

>>        Richard Martin, 52, Curator of the
>>        Costume Institute
>>
>>        By ANNE-MARIE SCHIRO
>>
>>        Richard Martin, who infused the Costume Institute of
>>        the Metropolitan Museum of Art with his deep
>>        knowledge of popular culture and art history, died
>>        yesterday at his apartment in New York. He was 52.
>>
>>        The cause was melanoma, said Dr. Richard Slusarczyk, his
>>        companion.
>>
>>        Martin had been the curator of the Met's costume
>>        collection since 1993. Since coming to the Met from the
>>        Fashion Institute of Technology, he presented such
>>        exhibitions as "Cubism and Fashion," "Gianni Versace,"
>>        "Christian Dior," "American Ingenuity: Sportswear,
>>        1930's-1970's," "Orientalism: Visions of the East in
>>        Western Dress," "Madame Grès" and "Swords Into
>>        Ploughshares: Military Dress and the Civilian Wardrobe."
>>
>>        Martin also organized an exhibition with the unlikely name
>>        of "Wordrobe," a historical look at clothing adorned with
>>        words, from poems to political slogans. He described it as
>>        "the reconciliation of textile and text."
>>
>>        An April 1998 exhibition, "The Ceaseless Century: 300
>>        Years of 18th-Century Costume," was called scintillating in
>>        a review by Grace Glueck in The New York Times. "Too
>>        often," she wrote, "historical costume shows are yawny
>>        dissertations on, well, the history of clothes. Not this one.
>>        The clothes may be overwrought, but there's real panache
>>        to the presentation."
>>
>>        Some of Martin's exhibitions at the Met disappointed
>>        fashion critics because they weren't as showy as those he
>>        had been involved with at the Fashion Institute of
>>        Technology or as flamboyant as those mounted by his
>>        predecessor at the Met, Diana Vreeland. But he was
>>        constrained because the space allotted to the Costume
>>        Institute had shrunk after Mrs. Vreeland's tenure and
>>        because he was obliged to display everything behind glass
>>        rather than in the round. (That had been the custom at the
>>        fashion institute and at the Met under Mrs. Vreeland.) On
>>        the other hand, he brought a more scholarly approach to
>>        the subject of fashion.
>>
>>        "Richard's major contribution to costume studies was his
>>        ability to input vigor and academic interest from his art
>>        history background," said Harold Koda, his associate
>>        curator for almost 20 years. "He saw fashion design as a
>>        manifestation that had richness of content that could be
>>        analyzed the way an art object was analyzed. He didn't see
>>        any kind of contradiction in that. Costume exhibitions were
>>        transformed because of his work."
>>
>>        Martin also added to the Costume Institute's collection by
>>        accepting donations of clothing from designers and their
>>        clients and by shopping at auctions, flea markets, discount
>>        stores and Barneys New York's warehouse sales.
>>
>>        In April he told The Times about buying a John Galliano
> [...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mary A.McLellan, Admin. Asst., Ext.243
AMERICAN TEXTILE HISTORY MUSEUM
491 Dutton Street, Lowell, MA 01854-4221
Phone (978)441-0400, Fax (978)441-1412
                "Dressed for the Part"
Hollywood Costumes from the Silver Screen
    November 16, 1999 to March 12, 2000

Museum-L" (without the quotes).