From:
"Ehr, Meg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:55:24 -0400
In all of the discussion about use of prepositions, rules of grammar,
etc., I find it interesting that nobody seems to be paying much attention
to Tongariki's original point: that repeating the entire text of an
e-mail to which one is referring (how's that?) is unnecessary at best,
and often aggravating. I use the "digest" feature, and receive all
messages from a given day in one large e-mail the following morning
(which is why my comments run a day behind...). I can edit the message
and remove repetitious material easily, but those who prefer to receive
individual e-mails may find excess text more annoying than I do.

A quick note about split infinitives:
*snip*
". . . we have the resources, talents, and abilities to accomplish
successfully these objectives."

Following a rule is no excuse for poor writing, which is exactly what
this is. The letter writer should have tried "...to accomplish these
objectives successfully." Good writers should be able to craft graceful
sentences while following applicable rules of grammar. If you can't make
a sentence sound right without breaking a rule, rewrite the sentence.