From:
Harry Klinkhamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:50:07 -0500
Erica,

It sounds like you have your docents covering a lot of the important stuff.  However, I would assume that if you have exhibits on the history of your community, that it would be prudent for docents to have some knowledge.  Yes, you don't want to scare off potential volunteers, but
maybe a half day workshop (possibly tied to their regular training) on the history of Issaquah would be helpful.  If I'm not mistaken, I think the Chicago Historical Society offers classes on Chicago History taught by staff and local professors.  It is part of the docent training,
but for a fee, individuals may attend as well.  It may be a way to combine training and programming.  Even if they can't learn it all, if they can walk away with some knowledge and maybe a reference work to consult down the road, they will be better prepared to inform your public.

Harry Klinkhamer
AASLH