From:
Robin Le Van <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:31:35 -0500
Hi, Brian.
I am familiar with your site. I moved here from New England. You might know
my executive director, Michael Bouman? He was with he Vermont Humanities
Council prior to coming on board here.
The challenge for this site is multi faceted: they need an interesting way
to tell their story that is easily replicable by volunteer docents and
engaging to visitors. It is an isolated rural community which attracts a
strong visitor base (the state installed a well done visitors center just
outside of town). George Caleb Bingham is from there, the town supported a
thriving post-emancipation African-American community, was the site of the
first African-American fraternal organization. Theirs was a slave trading
town (on the river, plantations around) that made a successful transition.
This is a story they are cautious in telling and can seem a bit vague in the
telling.The goal of the charette is to make the story not about the
buildings, but of the life which took place in and around them.
The charette takes place on Nov. 11 & 12, but we usually arrive at the site
the night before, on the 10th.
Is that any clearer?
Feel free to ask for clarity on anything else.
Thank you for your interest.
Robin