Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 1994 00:54:51 -0400
Allison:  I was surprised when I posted a 1/2 time paid job vacancy several
weeks ago, for an adventurous "museum builder" type, that only two people
responded.  I am wondering if it isn't the high expectation of salary that
keeps people from joining these "starter" museums to build the kind of
experience that benefits both them and the institution in the process.
   When I was hiring, I always did better chosing someone I had worked with
as a volunteer than when I picked someone from an ad, hands-down.  I think
that route, and building connections  still work in this land, but don't
forget that starting big may not be possible.  Susan Harless