From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:10:33 -0400
     Dawn,

     While an undergraduate student I did an internship with the Royal
     Armouries at the Tower of London via the University of Rochester
     Internships in Europe Program.  In addition to London, I know that
     they also arrange museum internships in Germany and other countries.
     The program made all housing arrangements (I had a terrific flat right
     on the Thames across from St. Pauls Cathedral) and provided an
     excellent support base in each country.  One doesn't have to be
     student at the University of Rochester -- I wasn't.  I'm not sure if
     the program is open to graduate students, but it's worth looking into.
      I don't have a web address, but I know information about the program
     is available through the University of Rochester web page.  The only
     negative thing is the cost -- VERY expensive!!!

     Laura McMann Mahoney

     ---------------------------------------

     I have a Museum Studies graduate student, not connected to the list,
     who is looking for a museum internship in Germany, Poland, or the
     Czech Republic for the summer of 2000.  Since the native language
     factor is a problem, he would prefer an internship with a museum in an
     urban area where the English language is commonly spoken.  (He plans
     to pursue an intensive language program before he leaves for his
     internship).

     While his background is in registration, he is more than willing to
     work in any area related to exhibition or collections management in a
     natural history, history, or art museum.  Compensation is not expected
     but he would need assistance with finding housing.

     If anyone has any established relationships with museums or museum
     personnel in these countries that can recommended, please e-mail me
     directly at [log in to unmask]

     Thank you in advance for any assistance provided,

     Dawn Scher Thomae
     Milwaukee Public Museum
     (In this instance, I am wearing my Museum Studies Program Coordinator
     hat)

Museum-L" (without the quotes).