From:
"Laitman, Elizabeth X." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 13:53:52 EST
I think that this subject is one that we all face every day in museums-- what is
our purpose?  Are we working toward the preservation of objects, art, history,
etc. only or are we also interested in teaching our public about these things?
I know that the answer is not a clear cut and dry explanation, and that the way
that I (personally) see the future of museums, is taking in all accounts, and
ways of looking, presenting, preserving.

In graduate school I was taught that it was our responsibility as art historians
to interpret the art for the visitor (who do not know as much as we do, as we
were the experts), but there are flaws in that argument. I know that there are
many ways to look at the subject of our exhibitions, as contemporary museum
professionals, it is important that we recognize these varied points of view. If
I am presenting a subject as a curator, I can only assume that I will try to
teach the viewer about all I know, for which there limits.  That is when I would
look at my subject and make sure that I have covered all of the bases, looked at
the subject in relation to history and perhaps found other experts or
individuals who may be more directly related to the subject.  It is only when we
have tried to present the many layers of a story that we can truly represent our
subjects, and even then we will never be done.

The question of who are our exhibits for, our visitor or the curators who visit
our museums, is a tough one.  I would love to think that everyone out there is
as interested in our exhibition subjects as a curator/ teacher/ etc.  We are
responsible for teaching our viewers what we know, whether they know a little or
a great deal about the subject.  We must remember that depending on our museum
mission, many of us are required to educate our viewers.  I only hope that we as
museum professionals do not loose sight of our visitors, as they are paying
(with tax $$$, admission fees, or even their time), and we have an obligation to
enlighten them.  How we teach them depends on the presentation. The fact that
Air and Space presents something like part of the Enola Gay we can hope that the
viewer will begin to question what part of history that plane was part of.  In
reality though, when we place something in a public sphere and do not explain
it, then we are not serving our public if they still have questions.

LIZ Laitman
Washington, DC