From:
Jane Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 07:12:59 -0400
Jerri - I too find it exciting to discuss and dispute among other museum
folks. It's a great list and the participants bring so much experience and
so many ideas that I find myself "tuning in" probably more often than I
should, given that I'm supposed to be making a living at this!

My last word (I promise) on the originals vs. repros question: visits behind
the scenes to storage and work areas are a terrific idea for lots of reasons
and I think visitors really benefit, as does the institution. But any such
tours that I've conducted or participated in did not offer much opportunity
to examine the real artifacts, especially in the context you would normally
find with an exhibit. I still think you need to haul them out and put them
on display whenever possible; (and I do agree that it's not always
possible). I just think that people have the right, and the need, to see the
beat-up genuine old article as well as the shiny reproduction. Living
history museums are no exception to this; they can roll out the original
article for display beside the working reproduction as easily as a dead
history museum. (Can you imagine a zoo showing one of Steven Spielberg's
robo-animals instead of a live kangaroo? Ok, it's not the same thing, but
real is REAL!)

Jane Sproull Thomson