From:
Antony F Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:57:29 -0000
Art Loan policies: As this information may be of use to other museums too, I am sending reply to list.

Several years ago the Cultural Property Committee of the International Bar Association commissioned Professor Norman Palmer, Rowe and Maw Professor of Commercial Law at University College London, to conduct world wide research into the law, practice and ethics of lending. Institutions from 14 countries responded  including the USA(34 institutions); Canada(6); Germany(69); UK (32).

The results of the research have been published jointly by the IBA and Kluwer Law in "Art Loans" by Norman Palmer ISBN 90-411-0667-7 (Published 1997). The book has three main dimensions. These are: a survey of the legal doctrines which bear on art loans; an analysis of the standard terms of lending and borrowing in common use, having regard to underlying doctrine; and an account of the attitudes of museum officials and others to the interaction of law and practice in the field.

You should be able to find plenty of very useful information in Palmer's book to help you. At about  190 US Dollars the book is expensive, but I think your Committee will find it a very useful investment.

Art Loans" can be ordered from:
http://www.kluwerlaw.com/
(You will have to do a search with "Art Loans" in the title field and "Palmer" in the author field).

Antony Anderson